March 22, 2018
In February, government announced BC’s retail framework for legal, adult use recreational cannabis. Learn more here.
While we are obviously disappointed with the decision to deny co-location of cannabis and liquor, we are pleased that government will permit standalone cannabis retail stores to be located adjacent to BC’s liquor outlets.
ABLE BC is continuing to work with government to clarify details on allowing a store-within-a-store model, e.g. cannabis store within a liquor store. Liquor licensees’ decades of experience retailing a controlled substance safely should also be taken into account during the cannabis retail license application process.
In the coming weeks, ABLE BC has several meetings planned with government regarding these issues. We will keep members updated on any developments.
Licensed producer agreements
Earlier this week, Sundial announced the Memorandum of Understanding signed with ABLE BC to become a supplier of up to 20 million grams of cannabis and cannabis derivate products per year to our membership.
We are excited to partner with Sundial and other respected suppliers, helping connect LPs with our members, if and when they sell recreational cannabis. As the adult-use market becomes legalized, strategic collaboration between suppliers and retailers will be key to understanding consumers and adapting to their preferences.
For more information about our other agreements with Abattis, Supreme Pharmaceuticals, and Maricann, click here.
To clarify, these agreements are non-binding and do not involve any financial relationship between ABLE BC and the LPs. We simply endorse these companies and think our members may want to work with them, should they retail cannabis.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact ABLE BC at 604-688-5560 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Cannabis Resources:
- Download our free webinar: retailing cannabis in BC FAQ. Visit our online store to download a copy of the recording and PowerPoint slides.
- Download our webinar presented by Aura Cannabis: How to set up your cannabis retail store for success. Visit our online store to download a copy of the recording and PowerPoint slides.
- Download BC government guide to Cannabis Private Retail Licensing and Application Process
- Visit our cannabis resources page at https://ablebc.ca/advocacy/cannabis-resources/
Reach out to our Associate Members involved in the cannabis industry:
- Abattis Bioceuticals: leading cannabis testing, sales, and distribution facility. Contact: Jim Irving at 604-787-7162 or email@example.com
- Aura Cannabis: one of Canada’s oldest retail cannabis stores with a focus on delivering a quality cannabis experience through education, service and support. Contact: Andrew Gordon at 604-671-7476 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Barnet: now offering cannabis tracking software and consulting. Contact: Stacy Mueller at 604-716-0925 or email@example.com
- Sting Investigations: offering fingerprinting and criminal record checks, required for cannabis retail license application process. Contact: Lori Solley at 1-877-717-8464 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cova Software: reliable POS and digital solutions built to make complex operations simple, streamline your workflows, and grow your empire. Contact: Anne Forkutza at 1-844-667-2682 or Anne@Covasoftware.com